Surgical Technician: 6:30am - 3:00pm
SUMMARY: The Surgery OR Technician provides direct patient care in the operating room by bringing expertise as a scrub assistant to the surgeon. This function is provided for a variety of surgical cases and diagnostic procedures. The primary focus is to assist during surgical cases following established standards of nursing care as directed by the circulating Registered Nurse or the Surgery Director. Assists the surgical team before, during, and after surgery by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrates competency in the following areas:
1. Identifies required supplies and equipment for room preparation necessary for patient/procedures; prepares equipment and packs for use in the procedure; identifies problems and needs of the patient initially and ongoing from the developmental age pediatrics to the geriatric patients, (see attached age appropriate care competency check list).
2. Passes instruments quickly, and watches the progress of care and anticipates the needs of the surgeon based on the patient's response and point in the case.
3. Ensures correct sponge and needle counts, and participates in instrument monitoring.
4. Assists in the orientation and training of surgical service personnel.
5. Assists in the orientation and training as specific to sterilization and instrumentation.
6. Follows established guidelines, policies, and procedures for infection control issues.
7. Understands and follows proper cleaning of technical equipment such as microscopes, orthopedic power equipment, and other operating room equipment.
8. Performs other assigned duties as requested by the Registered Nurse, Surgery Director, or Associate Administrator of Patient Care Services.
9. Places equipment and supplies in operating room and arranges instruments, according to instructions.
10. Assists team members to place and position patient on table.
11. Scrubs arms and hands and dons gown and gloves. Aids team to don gowns and gloves.
12. Hands instruments and supplies to surgeon, holds retractors, cuts sutures, and performs other tasks as directed by surgeon during operation.
13. Puts dressings on patient following surgery.
14. Counts sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
15. Washes and sterilizes equipment. Cleans operating room.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High School Graduate or equivalent; Operating Room Technician Certification, unless Grandfathered status (2009); Current BCLS Certification; Operating Room experience preferred.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
St. Mark's Medical Center
One St. Mark's Place
La Grange, TX 78945