St. Mark's Medical Center recognizes five with HeRO awards
Release date: August 16, 2022
La Grange, TX - St. Mark's Medical Center (SMMC) is proud to announce five employees recognized to date in 2022 for excellence in adhering to HeRO (High Reliability Organization) principles.
An HRO demonstrates its commitment to quality and safety by putting processes in place to make it easy for people to take the correct step every time, avoiding errors in an environment that is at risk for missteps, and allowing for high productivity and effectiveness. Key principles include communication; mutual support; leadership; and situation monitoring.
Employees recognized in 2022, include:
- January - Doris Klesel, RN, demonstrates above and beyond efforts to ensure the safest possible operating room environment of care.
- February - Baylis Zak, Imaging Technician, exemplifies attention to detail that ensures optimal care is provided during patient procedures.
- March - Sarah Muir, RN, demonstrates excellent communications skills -- exceptionally clear and complete, with an attention to detail. Her seamless handoffs and provider communication ensure the safest environment of care and model behaviors of high reliability.
- April - Charlene Raday, Legendary HeRO; demonstrated excellent communications skills -- exceptionally clear and complete, with an attention to detail. Charlene exhibited these behaviors of high reliability throughout her career and was awarded this recognition at her April retirement reception.
- July - Jennifer Schulze, RN, consistently takes the extra step in following evidence-based principles to ensure SMMC patients receive the best possible care.
The HeRO Recognition program began at SMMC in 2022, and draws from peer nominations of employees who exhibit performance consistent with HRO principles.
HeRO employees are celebrated at SMMC and awarded a gift card for their efforts.
"We are proud of our employees and the efforts that they take to ensure our patients receive the very best care," said SMMC President and CEO Mark Kimball. "Recognizing those who go the extra mile allow us to highlight and showcase behaviors for all of our employees to mirror."
"The HeRO Recognition program has been a great add to our culture," said SMMC Chief Clinical Officer Tammy Hartfield. "Employees have specific guiding principles to remind them of best practices, and are rewarded for influencing overall outcomes. It's a win-win," she added.
St. Mark's Medical Center (SMMC), is one of the top 100 Rural and Community Hospitals in the United States as ranked by the Chartis Center for Rural Health, and in 2022, rated a 4-star hospital by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The 100,000 sq. ft. community hospital serves residents of Fayette County and surrounding communities with the latest medical technology and comprehensive health care from highly skilled physicians, nurses and professional staff. Services include cardiac, physical and occupational rehabilitation; wound care; orthopedic care; inpatient and outpatient care; a 24-hour emergency department; outpatient/elective surgeries and procedures; as well as laboratory and imaging services.
To learn more about St. Mark's Medical Center and our services or career opportunities, please visit SMMCTX.org.
Doris Klesel, RN, January 2022 SMMC HeRO Award
Baylis Zak, Imaging Technician, February 2022 SMMC HeRO Award
Sarah Muir, RN, March 2022 SMMC HeRO Award
Charlene Raday, Medical Staff Coordinator (retiree) April 2022 SMMC Legendary HeRO Award
Jennifer Schulze, RN, July 2022 SMMC HeRO Award